Thursday, November 12, 2015

Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Quesadillas & Mexican Rice

This is the perfect meal if you're on the go. I like to make this in the slow cooker so it's ready after we get home in the evenings. It's an assembly job after the chicken is ready to go.  



INGREDIENTS
6 Chicken breast tenderloins (Change amount depending on servings)
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin powder
1 Tbsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
3 Cups brown rice (I make enough to use with another meal)
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1/2 Cup salsa
2 Tbsp sour cream
4 8" tortilla wrappers
(Typical taco toppings - can vary)


I put the chicken in the slow cooker frozen. It makes the prep time fast so I do this on my lunch break. Add the seasonings and set to medium heat. It will be ready in 4-5 hours. The chicken will thaw itself during the cooking process and will provide moisture.  
Cook the rice according to the directions. My way: I eyeball the amount of rice I want and then fill water to an inch above the rice. Stir in the dice tomatoes and add a pinch of salt. Brown rice takes longer to cook so allow 20-25 minutes into your time before you're ready to assemble the quesadillas.
While the rice is cooking it's time to prep the toppings. I like to mix sour cream and salsa together to act as the "glue" for the quesadillas. Chop your favorite taco toppings and set aside.

Shred the chicken. Add chicken and toppings to the flour tortilla. I like the fold-over method to keep everything intact. I use cooking spray in a nonstick pan to brown and crisp the outside of the quesadilla. Cut into thirds and serve with a side of rice.

2 comments:

  1. Yumm! Will definitely try this one. I love slow cooker recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my life revolves around slow cooker recipes. lol

      Delete